1. Do your Dave Mathews impersonation when trying to explain Dave Mathews’s involvement in the winemaking process of the wine you’ve brought to a party. If the person sticks around you know they’re interested. If not, you know you are in your own good company because you are the only person who understands why you are the way you are.
2. Don’t do your “traditional” Dave Mathews impersonation because people no longer understand the reference, “Pretty Baaaby” and will be creeped out. Do a different one.
3. Make sure you have checked yourself when hanging out with a group of guys after having used the restroom. Make sure there isn’t any extraneous toilet paper hanging from your posterior.
4. Do talk about your Martin Short autograph your parents scored as a Christmas present for you on E-bay; if the guy knows who Martin Short is, double win!
5. Brag about any comic book publishing achievements, this will impress ANY guy.
6. Be honest and be true to thine own self. There is nothing worse than a lying liar McLiarson. Even in your demeanor, attitudes, and how your present yourself. There is nothing more disappointing (this goes for both genders) than getting several months down the road and finding out the person is completely different to how they presented themselves to you in the beginning. If you are the person making all the changes to impress someone, DON’T. You will just wind up feeling cheated and unappreciated with tinges of resentment. Just DO what works…be you.
7. Don’t be afraid to say the stupid quirky stuff that you do, the ones that stick around are the ones you want to hang out with, not the ones who see your fun traits as a flaw.
8. Sing and Dance with those around you. Happiness is an attractor magnet. Even if you feel you can’t sing or dance…in the words of Dave Barry, “Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance.” You never know what friends you will make in the process!
9. Do make comments on the oddities surrounding you. It gives you a perspective of how the other person thinks when they come up with their own assessment of the surroundings.
10. Don’t purposely steal the person’s beverage next to you, some people think its funny, some don’t. Don’t try it, it will turn some into the Hulk, others will be just slightly irritated.